Where in the World is the US Embassy?

So, I did something crazy the other day. Sit down for this: I made a map. No big deal, right? Maybe it is.


I was trying to follow the stories about the US Embassy in Israel moving from Tel Aviv to Jerusalem and the protests supposedly in response. Many stories framed the events as though the Trumps and Israelis were laughing and cavorting while poor Palestinians were being slaughtered just next door.

 

I have a passing familiarity with the geography of the area, but I wanted to lay it all out in front of myself. What I ended up seeing was so comically at odds with news reports linking the violence to the embassy that I just had to share.

I posted it on Twitter with the caption: “Just because not everyone seems to know this.” That’s it.

 

As they say on Twitter dot com, RIP my mentions.

For some context, for me a typical tweet that isn't a reply to someone gets about one response. A dozen retweets and replies is a successful tweet. The lifespan for any given tweet is typically only a few minutes. The above post received 600+ retweets and 1250+ likes over 36 hours and is still going. That's well beyond my tiny reach of 700 followers at the time I posted it.

The really interesting part, though, is the replies. I've gotten dozens, mostly from strangers, which is again odd. Most are positive, complementing the map—I personally wish I’d picked better colors; it looks like an Imodium and Pepto cocktail—and thanking me for providing useful information. On the other hand, a handful have actually tried to "debunk" the map! I’ve gotten the predictable Trump/Jew/Israel hate, as well. Clearly, some people got their conceptions turned around and did not like it.

Comments

  1. It looks like your map is getting a little mileage.
    Check this post at http://www.diogenesmiddlefinger.com/2018/05/its-been-banner-week-for-pathetically.html

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Real Reason Why Are Trucks Getting Bigger

Romney’s Pro-Life Position Not So New

The Gaffe that Almost Wasn’t